Phot. Saravut Frank Sopapunta
ABOUT MEA LIFE IN PLACES — There was being born in Oklahoma in '75. Growing up upstate New York, the Pennsylvania hills, the Florida coast. Then Marine Corps boot camp on Parris Island, orders to Guantanamo Bay, Okinawa, California. The last year of service split between Camp Pendleton and Saddleback College, split again between English and theatre majors, throwing over both and backpacking through Italy, Greece, Turkey, Israel and Palestine. Teaching English in Lublin, Poland. Waiting tables and doing fringe theatre in London. Seine-haul fishing in southeast Alaska. NYC pre- and post-9/11, with a gig as a database designer for a healthcare union. Studying philosophy, running a theatre company in Krakow. Teaching and translating in Warsaw. Writing and directing in Berlin and London and at the Lodz Film School in Poland. Crewing on student films at the American Film Institute and doing theater in Hollywood...
- Shadowboxing (staged reading at San Clemente High School 1996)
- Studied acting at Saddleback College, Mission Viejo (1997)
- Rules of Ownership (dir. J. Crone, Theater K, London, 2000)
- Artistic director of Axis Mundi, an international theatre group based in Krakow (2005-2010)
- Warsaw Rebuilds! (dir. John Steppling, Loch Camelot, Krakow, 2005) [review by Soren Gauger]
- Recreation (by John Steppling, dir. J. Crone, Four Views of Golgotha, 2006)
- Broken Cross (dir. J. Crone, Four Views of Golgotha, Alchemia, Krakow, 2006)
- Spleen & Will (performed by J. Crone, Solvay Center, Krakow, 2006)
- Godhead (dir. J. Crone (in Polish), City Hall Stage, Krakow, 2006)
- In Other Words (dir. Lydia Ziemke, English Theatre Berlin, 2010)
- Squatters (dir. J. Crone, English Theatre Berlin and Southwark Playhouse, London, 2010)
- Solitaire (staged reading at the Southwark Playhouse, London, 2010)
- The Connection (dir. Randee Trabitz, English Theatre Berlin, 2011)
- Solitaire (dir. J. Crone, The Underground Theater, 2014. Featuring Gabriel Miller Schwalenstocker, Varda Appleton, Julianne Kusmierczyk, Timothy Bowman, Mark Craig, Andrew Devitre and Richie Stephens. More information at www.solitairetheplay.com)
- Directing internship at the Polish National Film School in Lodz (Fall 2011)
- Adam and Eve Mews by J. Crone one of six feature-length screenplays chosen for a script-doctoring program led by Martin Daniel (Kaliber Deluxe) and Sarah Golding (The Constant Gardener) at the 2012 edition of the New Horizons film festival in Wrocław (Summer 2012)
- First assistant director on the set of Takich troje jak nas dwoje, director: Oliver Krüger, producer: Lodz Film School, length: 20 min., format: 35 mm. (Summer 2012)
- Towar (The Goods), length: 8 min., writer/director: J. Crone, director of photography: Michał Dymek, editor: Piotr Krygiel, featuring Adam Kupaj, Bartosz Szpak, Delfina Wilkońska, Martin Rath and Rafał Zawierucha, music by The Saturday Tea
- East Side Gallery, director: J. Crone, director of photography: Malin Nicander
- Production Assistant, Real Love, AFI thesis production, prod. Selina Ringel, dir. Dan Levy Dagerman (2014)
- Art Dept. PA, Tarrasch Rule, AFI cycle film, prod. Sara Nassim, dir. Jared Anderson (2014)
- Set Dresser, Snap, AFI cycle film, prod. Daniela Ruiz, dir. Liv Prior Colliander (2014)
- Grip & Electric, All in the Family, AFI cycle film, prod. Anne Sawyier, dir. Sean McWilliams (2014)
- 2nd Assistant Director, Reckoning, AFI cycle film, prod. Yirmeyah Beckles, dir. Anders Helde (2014)
- 2nd Assistant Camera, Armistice, AFI cycle film, prod. Sophie Fried, dir. Nathaniel Katzman, DP Ian Holliday (2014)
- Masters in Philosophy from the Jagiellonian University (2003-2008)
- Thesis: “Realizing Space: Geometry, Relativity and the Transcendental Aesthetic”. Supervisor: Dr. hab. Jan Czerniawski.
- Crone, Joshua. Boom (for Laboratorium Dramatu). EN-PL. Co-translated with Ewelina Pietrowiak.
- Fajfer, Zenon. Pieta (for Axis Mundi Theatre). PL-EN.
- Fertacz, Magdalena. Trash Story (for Polskie Radio). PL-EN.
- Grembowicz, Alicja and Irena Pilatowska. Kordian and Helena (for Polskie Radio). PL-EN.
- Iwaszkiewicz, Jaroslaw. The Maids of Wilko. Adapted by Maja Komorowska and Julia Kijowska (for the Warsaw Theatre Academy). PL-EN.
- Kowalewski, Wlodzimierz. The Eccentrics. Adapted by Bogumila Przadka (for Polskie Radio). PL-EN.
- Mularczyk, Andrzej. What Tomorrow Will Bring (for Polskie Radio). PL-EN.
- Reut, Przemyslaw. City of Gold (screenplay treatment for NextMedia Productions). PL-EN.
- Steppling, John. Recreation (for Axis Mundi Theatre). Co-translated with Edyta Zwolinska. PL-EN.
- Strzelecki, Andrzej. The Map (for the International Theatre Institute). PL-EN.
- Domesle, Andrea. Failed Hope: New Romanticism in Contemporary German Photography (for Krakow’s Photomonth festival). PL-EN.
- Jankowicz, Grzegorz. Poetical Psycho: Thoughts on Contemporary Polish Poetry (for wordswithoutborders.org). PL-EN.
- Kamrowska, Agnieszka and Anna Taszycka. Japanese Monster Movies (for Galeria ZPAF i S-ka, Krakow). PL-EN.
- Kwas, Paulina. "The Case against the Real World: Surrealism in Polish Cinema after 1989." In A Story of Sin: Surrealism in Polish Cinema. Krakow: Ha!art, 2010. PL-EN.
- Majmurek, Jakub. "Utopia, Dystopia, Escape. Surrealism and Polish Science Fiction/Fantasy Cinema". In A Story of Sin: Surrealism in Polish Cinema. Krakow: Ha!art, 2010. PL-EN.
- Pollack, Martin. The History That Created Us (for Tygodnik Powszechny). Interview by Michal Bardel. PL-EN.
- Slawek, Tadeusz. Supporting Europe (for Tygodnik Powszechny). PL-EN.
- Spiró, György. The New Dark Ages (for Tygodnik Powszechny). Interview by Grzegorz Jankowicz. PL-EN.
- Kullmann, Wolfgang. Aristotle’s scientific methods in zoology(Lecture for an Einstein Fellowship symposium). DE-EN.
- Zalewski, Bogdan. The Hand Is a Wanderer (for the Conrad Festival). PL-EN.
- 2008 - present: newsletter of the Polish Theatre Institute. PL-EN.
- 2010 - present: abstracts, profiles, articles and more for the website of the Excellence Cluster Topoi. DE-EN.
- Articles and summaries for the website of the Corpus Medicorum Graecorum (Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities). DE-EN.
- Reports and studies for Polish government agencies, e.g. on the environmental impact of the Via Baltica expressway, on Poland’s entry into the Eurozone, on the state of Polish competition law, on the condition of Warsaw’s sewerage infrastructure, etc. PL-EN.
- Translation/proofreading of the Excellence Cluster Topoi’s successful five-year grant renewal proposal. DE-EN.
- Bazarnik, Katarzyna. Joyce and Liberature (Ph.D. dissertation – Jagiellonian University, Krakow).
- Dawidek-Gryglicka, Malgorzata. A Piece of Poetry. Conversations with Stanislaw Drózdz. Krakow: Ha!art, 2010.
- Fajfer, Zenon. Liberature or Total Literature. Collected Essays 1999-2009. Translated and edited by Katarzyna Bazarnik. Krakow: Ha!art, 2010.
- Ionescu, Arleen. "Gifts of Time: Alternative Temporalities in Ulysses." In James Joyce and After: Writer and Time. Ed. Bazarnik, Katarzyna; Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars, 2010.
- Kucala, Bozena. Intertextual Dialogue with the Victorian Past in the Contemporary Novel (habilitation thesis – Jagiellonian University, Krakow).
- Leeuwen, Joyce van. The tradition of the Aristotelian Mechanics: Text and Diagrams (Ph.D. dissertation - Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin).
- Majewska, Jadwiga. The Body Revolving The Stage. New Dance in New Poland. Warsaw: Polish Theatre Institute, 2011.
- Odzuck, Sebastian. The Priority of Locomotion in Aristotle’s Physics (Ph.D. dissertation - Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin).
- Pfeiffer, Christian. Aristotle on the Metaphysics of Bodies (Ph.D. dissertation - Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin).
- Steinbuch, Gerhild. Going to Bed (for the Austrian Cultural Forum, London). Translated by Lydia Ziemke.